at uCool, Inc. in Menlo Park
uCool, Inc. is a US based independent video game developer founded in 2012, most known for creating the popular game Tynon, which is a free to play new hybrid style game. We’re currently developing Commanders of Evony and also publish the pioneering hardcore online games Evony: Age I and Evony: Age II. We’ve just launched our first mobile game, Heroes Charge, on iOS and Android.As a leader for independent video game developing and publishing, we have more than 60 million players worldwide enjoying our products. At uCool, we’re trying to create positive change in the appmosphere as well as industry through responsible and ethical practices from initial design all the way to serving the games. By focusing on creating this positive environment that takes responsibility and has respect for our end users, we feel that we have an opportunity to lead so that other studios can be inspired.
Working at uCool is different, we have an environment that encourages creativity and achievement as it embraces the entrepreneurial spirit of ingenuity, responsiveness and self-improvement. We see to attract highly motivated individuals that want to work as a team and share in the commitment, responsibility, risk taking and discipline required to achieve our vision. Part of attracting these special individuals is to build a culture that promotes both uniqueness and a bias for action. While we are realistic in setting goals and expectations, we also are aggressive in reaching objectives.
This success in turn enables uCool to give our employees above average compensation and innovative benefits or rewards; key elements in helping us maintain our leadership position in the worldwide marketplace.uCool is a young business that has taken different steps from the larger video game publishers and third party developers in that we’re actively not only developing our games, we’re also managing the publishing aspects as well.
We do not engage in practices that are negative to the industry such as metadata gaming, unrelated advertising and purposefully protect our players from negative freemium experiences. While other studios are focusing on maximizing the revenue from players or ignoring long-term growth through cannibalistic practices, we feel that these issues are causing layoffs, negative perceptions in the industry and quite possibly turning young people from exciting careers in engineering, software, art and design.We started with a handful of passionate and highly dedicated professionals and growing tremendously.
uCool chose to embark on our journey, building from the ground up. Quickly, players have spread and contributed to the success of our games through word of mouth and direct advertising; and while the majority of companies experienced a time of downturn and troubles, we’ve managed not only to buck the downward trend, we’ve come out with a huge success as well as a very loyal and strong player community which we value tremendously. It's the mutual respect that uCool has and enjoys with our player community that we strive to protect and reward.
While competitors have chosen to go for investors and try to emulate our success; we’re proud that uCool has been able to set the standard for free online games that don’t give second-rate quality. With superior graphics, game play and game mechanics, all of our games have overtaken the traditional online games and large studios and now we command the highest level of reach across the globe for free games.
With our new launches and high quality services we are keen to continue our success: uCool, the Pursuit of User Happiness!
The Senior Recruiter is responsible for the identification, engagement and acquisition of industry experts for key positions as well as general implementation of HR policy and programs while ensuring management of retention of staff.
They will also assist in the management of organizational development, performance management, compensation and benefits, administration and employee counseling services in an entrepreneurial environment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Recruit quickly and retain top quality staff that are best of breed (high growth budgeted for 2015)
- Develop an employee-oriented company culture that emphasizes quality, continuous improvement, team-work and high performance across multiple locations
- Create, implement and improve HR policies and programs as required by the business
- Ensure job descriptions for all positions are accurate and up to date
- Create organizational development and employee training programs
- Conduct performance reviews with executive team and management and monitor employee activity to review productivity, performance results and attitude
- Provide employee counseling services for personal issues and company complaints
- Build a quality assurance program that is tied to performance review processes
- Create, implement and improve compensation plans and provide administration for employee benefits
- Provide company-wide communications
- Other duties as assigned
- Required: BA/BS degree in relevant field
- Required: Video Game and/or Mobile App industry experience.
- Required: Exceptional interpersonal skills including listening, coaching and training.
- Required: Ability to identify possible candidates, initiate and engage discussions and bring them over to uCool for key positions.
- Excellent recruitment and retention history
- Advanced degrees such as an MBA preferred
- Minimum of 4+ years experience in a HR management position within the game industry (mobile, online and/or console)
- Strong leadership, project management and time management skills
- Ability to develop strong relationships that are conducive to improving performance and work with executive team
- Able to develop new HR policies and programs based on business requirements as well as continuous improvement of existing
- Excellent business acumen, management reporting and problem-solving skills
- Strong network of B2B, national business and trade media contacts
- Acute sense of judgment, tact and diplomacy
- A strong sense of teamwork and ability to both manage and execute programs
- You must be located within the Menlo Park area or able to commute.
- You will be expected to have an understanding of our app, Heroes Charge.
- Competitive salary
- Awesome bonus
- 20 days annual leave
- 8 days personal leave
- 100% medical, dental and vision
- Life insurance
- 401(k) and FSA
- Lots more!
Recent jobs at uCool, Inc.